The New Normal – Children of Light
Pastor Phil Derstine 10-31-21
Halloween: Regardless of how this holiday came about, and attempts at All Saints Day, it is a day that darkness and fear is celebrated, and witches and warlocks are tapping into the demonic spirit realm.
Ephesians 5:8-18 “For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the LORD. Live as children of light.”
· WAKE UP, O SLEEPER! – Neutralize the darkness & fear of Halloween (Faith over Fear)
· Understand what the Lord’s will is… Be filled with the SPIRIT! (Walk by FAITH, not by SIGHT)
· We don’t need another VISITATION, but a HABITATION (Christ in YOU, the hope of Glory)
· God is shaking the world so that only what cannot be shaken will remain! (The Spirit Realm, Heavenly)
John 8:12 “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”
· Context: Woman caught in adultery, brought before Jesus, in the temple.
· Light neutralizes darkness… without drama, without debate (Just the Power of His Presence).
· “Ye are the Light of the world… a city (Kingdom) set on a hill… let your Light shine” (Matt. 5:14-16)
Mark 5:1-20 - Jesus healed a demon-possessed man
· The man saw Jesus coming from a distance and ran to him, falling on his knees (forced worship)
· “What do you want with me Jesus, Son of the Most High God?” (He knew who Jesus was)
· The pigs rushed down a steep bank into the lake and drowned (devil’s nature: to kill, steal, destroy)
· John 10:10 “The thief comes to… but I have come that ye might have Life, Life more abundantly.”
· The delivered man became a witness of Christ to 10 cities (the Decapolis)
· II Corinthians 5:20 “We are Ambassadors of Christ…”
Luke 4:1 “Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert where he was tempted by the devil…”
· “If you are the Son of God…” (after a glorious baptism, devil tried to make him question His identity)
· V. 14 “Jesus returned in the POWER of the Spirit…” (Passing the tests brings promotion)
· V. 17 He found the place in Isaiah, and began to DECLARE… “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me…”
· Matthew 7:28 “The people were astonished at his doctrine. (29) He taught as one having authority…”
· Why do these tests come in our lives? (My Strength is made perfect in weakness)
Matthew 10:1 - Jesus called and sent his 12 disciples
· He gave them AUTHORITY to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease and sickness.
· V. 7 “As you go, preach saying the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.” (8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.”
· V. 9 “Don’t take along any gold or silver or copper in your belts…” (Live by faith)
· Matthew 28:19 (Last words of Jesus) “Go ye into all the world and make disciples…”
· Disciple: A follower who learns from his teacher through imitating Him in word, thought, and deed.
II Corinthians 3:6 “Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.”
· The letter has no forgiveness, no grace
· V. 18 “We are being transformed into his likeness with ever increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”
· Isaiah 60:1-3 “Arise, Shine, for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.”