Fan the Flame – Practice the Word
Pastor Phil Derstine 3-6-22
Practice the Word – Luke 6:46-49
· Luke 6:47 “I will show you what he is like who come to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. (48) He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built.”
· Practice your faith in God’s Word – as a doctor practices medicine, a lawyer practices law.
· Practice what you Preach! Practice makes Perfect!
· II Timothy 3:16 (NIV) “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. (17) That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly equipped unto all good works.”
· II Timothy 1:6 (NIV) “For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you, through the laying on of my hands.”
The Revolutionary Teaching of Jesus – is our Spiritual DNA
1. Love your Enemies – Luke 6:27-36
· Love, do good, bless, pray for... your enemies
· John 13:35 “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”
· Matthew 22:40 “All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Love God and your Neighbor)
2. Do not Judge – Luke 6:37-42
· Do not judge or condemn… rather forgive
· I Corinthians 4:3 “I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. (4) My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.”
· John 20:23 “Whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whosoever sins ye retain, they are retained.”
3. Bear good Fruit – Luke 6:43-45
· The only kind of fruit people want to pick!
· John 15:5 “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.”
· Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.”
Philippians 4:9 “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”