Parable of the Weeds
Pastor Phil Derstine 8-28-22
The Kingdom of God – Parable of the Weeds
· Matthew 13:24 “The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: (25) But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.”
· Matthew 13:30 “Let them grow together until the harvest.”
· Focus on the Wheat, not the Weeds! (God is)
· II Chronicles 16:9 “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him.”
· The Kingdom of God – Heaven’s influence on earth, The Community of God on earth, God’s culture, language, lifestyle, values, and morals… on earth. Wherever Heaven’s influence takes dominion over earth.”
· Romans 14:17 “The kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.”
· Luke 17:20 “The kingdom of God cometh not with observation: (21) Neither shall they say, Lo here! Or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.”
We are “Spirit Filled”
· John 3:3 “Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the Kingdom of God. (5) Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the Kingdom of God. (6) That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
· Romans 8 – Five defining terms… 1. No Condemnation
· Romans 8:1 “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.”
· Condemnation is bad, and from the devil. Conviction is good, brings repentance, and from God.
· Psalm 103:3 “Who forgiveth all thine iniquities… (12) As far as the east is from the west, so hath he removed our transgressions from us.”
· Mark 5:27 (Woman with an issue of blood) “When she heard about Jesus, she came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, (28) because she thought, If I just touch his clothes, I will be healed.”
· In Jewish culture, her bleeding disorder rendered her “unclean”
· Her Faith put a demand on the Presence of God and created the atmosphere for a Miracle.
The Presence of God – The Atmosphere of Heaven
· Psalm 16:11 “Thou will show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.”
- Atmosphere – Presence, Glory of God
- Order – Correction, restoration, repair
- Excellence – Multiplication, Fruitfulness
- John 8:7 – Woman caught in adultery
- Accused – Love & forgiveness – Repentance
- John 9:3 – Man born blind
- Victim mentality – Vision – Opportunity for a Miracle!
- John 4:4 – Woman at the well
- Religious debate – Revelation – Ministry Commissioned!
· John 2:5 – Jesus turned water into wine
o Dilemma – Obedience – Creative Miracle!
What are YOU doing to change the ATMOSPHERE?
· STOP Pulling Weeds – START cultivating (stewarding) The Presence of God
· Luke 10:41 “Martha, Martha, the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things, (42) but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”
· Acts 3:19 “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord.”