Living "On Assignment"
Pastor Phil Derstine
Jesus with the Woman at the Well
- God's Assignment on His Life
- John 4:4 "Now He had to go through Samaria..." (Divine Appointment)
- John 4:34 “My food, said Jesus, is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work.” (Assignment)
- Ephesians 2:10 “For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Acts 10:38 “God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and with power; who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.”
Acts 16:16-34 - Living "On Assignment" (6 Scriptural Keys)
- Story of Paul & Silas set free from prison… and God's plan to reach the Jailor and his family.
1. Live a Lifestyle of Prayer - Living on assignment for God is a lifestyle of prayer (talking and listening to God)
- v. 16 “And it came to pass, as we went to prayer…”
- v. 9 “During the night Paul had a vision of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, Come over to Macedonia and help us.”
- Psalm 37:23 “The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD…” (Recognize Divine Appointments)
2. Recognize the Spiritual Battle - Living on assignment recognizes the spiritual battle between light & darkness.
- v. 17 “These men are the servants of the most high God, which show unto us the way of salvation.”
- v. 18 “In the name of Jesus Christ, I command you to come out of her. At that moment the spirit left her."
3. Accept Persecution - God is still with you, God still has a plan. (God had to get them into the prison)
- v. 22 “The crowd joined in the attack against Paul and Silas, and the magistrates ordered them to be stripped and beaten."
- v. 23 “After they had been severely flogged; they were thrown into prison, and the jailer was commanded to guard them carefully.”
- Matthew 5:11 (NIV) “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. (12) Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”
4. Keep Praying & Singing - in and through the midnight hour. It’s an exercise of FAITH.
- v. 25 “About midnight, Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.”
- II Chronicles 16:9 “The eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect (fully committed) toward Him.”
5. Expect a Miracle! - The “suddenly” of God!
- v. 26 “Suddenly there was such a violent earthquake that the foundations of the prison were shaken. At once all the prison doors flew open and everybody’s chains came loose.”
- Romans 8:28 “And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose.”
6. Bring Salvation - Our assignment is a matter of LIFE & DEATH… it’s an URGENT matter (don’t wait).
- v. 30 “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?”
- John 20:21 “As the Father has sent Me, I am sending you.” (23) If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven…”
- v. 33 “…then immediately he and all his family were baptized.”
- v. 34 “The jailor… was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God -- he and his whole family.”