Turning Tragedy to Triumph
Pastor Phil Derstine
Mark 11:22 “Have faith in God!”
• Galatians 6:9 “And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.”
• II Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
I Samuel 30:1-20 (David at Ziklag) – lost everything: his home, finances, family… and found a way to recover it all.
• A FAITH PATTERN for full recovery
• How David responded to his tragedy - 4 Things We Can Learn
1. David Wept Aloud (v.4)
• “Wept until they had no more power to weep”
• Ecclesiastes 3:4 "There is a time to weep… a time to mourn…”
• Medical fact: Tears have healing quality for stress, sadness, grief, anxiety.
• Psalm 30:5 “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning.”
• II Sam. 5:24 – In Valley of Rephaim (“giants”), camped under Mulberry Trees (Heb: Baka tree – “weeping”)
“When you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the mulberry trees… advance quickly for the victory”
2. David Encouraged Himself in the Lord his God (v.6)
• Focus on your God and not your circumstances!
• Psalm 34:1 “I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continually be in my mouth.”
• Proverbs 15:4 “A wholesome tongue is a tree of life.” (Exodus 15 - bitter waters at Marah turned sweet by a tree)
• Don’t get bitter, get BETTER!
• Acts 26:2 “I think myself happy…” (Standing in front of King Agrippa, who wanted to behead him)
• Nehemiah 8:10 “Do not sorrow, the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
3. David got a Word from God (v.8)
• “Pursue: for thou shalt surely overtake them, and without fail recover all.”
• Jeremiah 33:3 “Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.”
• Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” (Rhema)
• Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to
harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”
4. David Recovered all (v.18-20)
• I Samuel 30:19 “And there was nothing lacking to them, neither small nor great, neither sons nor daughters,neither spoil, nor any thing that they had taken to them: David recovered all.”
• I Corinthians 15:57 “Thanks be to God, which giveth us the VICTORY through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
• Ephesians 3:20 “Now unto Him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we ask or imagine, according toHis Power that is at work within us.”