Created to Praise (Palm Sunday)
Pastor Phil Derstine
- John 12:12 “The next day the great crowd that had come for the Feast heard that Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem. (13) They took palm branches and went out to meet Him, shouting, ‘Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the King of Israel!”
- Luke 19:40 (Jesus) “I tell you, he replied, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”
- Psalm 150:6 "Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.”
We are Created to Praise
- I Peter 2:9 “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”
- Hebrews 13:15 “By Him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lipsgiving thanks to His name.”
- John 4:23,24 “But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship Him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.”
1) An act of my will (soul & body).
2) It is vocal.
3) An external (public) show of appreciation or admiration.
4) Can be learned, can be taught (ways, methods, words)
5) Is essential for relationship with God.
1) An act of God’s will (Spirit).
2) A response to relationship with God.
3) The result of a deeper commitment and closer fellowship with God.
4) It is entering into God’s presence - Where there is power and miracles.
5) We are commanded to worship God only.
Why do we worship God?
- Exodus 20:3 “Thou shalt have no other gods before me.”
- Matthew 4:10 “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God and Him alone shalt thou serve.”
Why use musical instruments in the service?
- Psalm 150:3-5 “Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet (Shofar); praise Him with the psaltry and harp. Praise Him with the timbrel and dance. Praise Him with the stringed instruments and organs. Praise Him upon the loud cymbals; praise Him upon the high sounding cymbals.”
Why sing choruses as well as hymns?
- Ephesians 5:18 “Be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit; (19) speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns, and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.”
- Hymn (Def.) - Type of song written for the purpose of praise, adoration, or prayer.
- Hymnos (Gr.) – A song of praise
- I Corinthians 14:15 “I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with understanding also.”
Why do we stand to sing?
- II Chronicles 20:19 “And the Levites… stood up to praise the Lord God of Israel with a loud voice on high.”
- Revelation 7:9-10 “After this I beheld, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; and cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.”
Why do we lift our hands?
- Psalm 134:2 “Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord.”
- I Timothy 2:8 “I will therefore that men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath or doubting.”
Why do we clap our hands?
- Psalm 47:1 “O clap your hands all ye people; shout unto God with a voice of triumph.”
- Psalm 33:1 “Sing joyfully to the Lord, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise Him.”
Why do we dance in church?
- Psalm 149:3 “Let them praise His name in the dance…”
- Psalm 30:11 “Thou has turned for me my mourning into dancing…”
- II Samuel 6:14 “And David danced before the LORD with all his might…”
Why do we wave flags & banners?
- Psalm 20:5 “We will rejoice in thy salvation, and in the name of our God we will set up our banners.”
- Exodus 17:15 “Moses built an altar and called it Jehovah-Nissi; The Lord is my Banner.”
Praise is a weapon
- Psalm 100:1 “Make a joyful noise unto the LORD… (4) Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise.”
- Isaiah 61:3 “…beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness…”
- II Chronicles 20:22 "As they began to sing and praise, the LORD set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated."