Pastor Phil Derstine
Rise to the Call of the Resurrection
- Colossians 3:1 “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. (2) Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. (3) For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.”
- God's purpose is that we Grow - It's the Journey, not the Destination.
- A fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ GROWS in relationship with God and others.
- Hebrews 10:24 “And let us consider how we may spur one another on to love and good deeds. (25) Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another – and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
- Message: “So if you’re serious about living this new resurrection life with Christ, act like it. Pursue the things over which Christ presides. Don’t shuffle along, eyes to the ground, absorbed with the things right in front of you. Look up, and be alert to what is going on around Christ – that’s where the action is. See things from his perspective. Your old life is dead. Your new life, which is your real life – even though invisible to spectators – is with Christ in God. He is your life.”
The Lord's Prayer - expresses God's purpose
- Matthew 6:9-13 "Our Father which art in heaven. Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever, Amen."
- The Culture of Heaven manifested on earth, thru us.
The Great Commission - the last words of Jesus before His ascension
- Mark 16:15 “Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel (Good News) to every creature.”
- Matthew 10:7 “And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. (8) Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.”
- John 15:16 “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.”
- The Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) - Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness Temperance.
1. Meet people at the point of their NEED - physical needs and spiritual needs
- Matthew 25:35-36 “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
- Mark 16:18 “They (you) shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”
2. Expect DIVINE APPOINTMENTS - arranged by God
- John 6:44 “No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him; and I will raise him up at the last day.”
- Luke 19:10 “For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
- Luke 21:13 “And it shall turn to you for a testimony. (14) Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: (15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.”
3. Demonstrate the POWER - expect God's intervention
- I Corinthians 2:4-5 (NIV) “My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.”
- Ephesians 3:20 (NIV) “Now [God] is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, (21) to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.”