Power of Prayer
- II Chronicles 7:14 “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”
- Matthew 18:19 “If two of you shall agree on earth as touching anything that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.”
What is Prayer?
A. Talking and Listening to God
- Jeremiah 33:3 “Call unto Me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not.”
B. Requests, not Commands
- Philippians 4:6 “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.”
- Prayer is committed to developing relationship with God
C. Personal, Intimate - Matthew 6:5-15
- Don't pray to be seen by men
- It's not about your many words
- "Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven."
- Prayer brings Heaven's influence to earth!
- James 5:16 “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.”
A Pattern for Prayer
1. Praise and Thanksgiving - entrance protocol
2. Worship - I humble myself
3. Confession - self-examination and repentance
- Luke 18:10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.”
- Psalm 26:2 (NLT) “Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and affections.”
4. Intercession (needs of others) - others before myself
5. Petition (your own needs) - pray with persistence!
- Luke 18:1 “Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up.” (6) “And the Lord said, Listen to what the unjust judge says. (7) And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? (8) I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”
- Luke 11:9 “And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.”
- Luke 11:9 (AMP) “So I say to you, Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking and the door shall be opened to you. (10) For everyone who asks and keeps on asking receives; and he who seeks and keeps on seeking finds; and to him who knocks and keeps on knocking, the door shall be opened.”
6. Praying in the Spirit - tongues & interpretation of tongues
- I Corinthians 12:8-10 - The 9 Manifestation Gifts of the Spirit
- Ephesians 6:18 “Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.”
- Supplication (Gr: Deesis) – strong, continued, incessant pleadings until the prayer is answered.
- Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groans that words cannot express.”
7. Listen - get familiar with the voice of God
- Luke 10:41 “Martha, Martha, the Lord answered, you are worried and upset about many things, (42) but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”