Zacchaeus - Let Faith Arise!
Pastor Phil Derstine - 5-16-21
Luke 19:1-10 Story of Zacchaeus
- Zacchaeus (Gr.) - Name means pure, innocent, righteous
- Was judged and negatively defined by his friends
- Was isolated, unliked, cancelled by society
- Yet he arose from the crowd and was called out by God
1. He saw the Season of Opportunity - see your problem as an opportunity for God
- Isaiah 55:6 “Seek ye the LORD while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near.”
- Matthew 14:29 – Peter walked on water
- Daniel 3:21 – Hebrew boys in the fire
- Daniel 6:16 – Daniel in the lion's den
- I Samuel 17:32 – David defeated Goliath
2. He overcame Obstacles and Limitations - take a step of faith in your own strength
- Luke 19:4 – Zacchaeus climbed a tree to see Jesus
- Mark 6:38 – How many loaves do you have?
- Mark 2:4 – Tore the roof apart to get to Jesus
- Mark 5:25 – Woman bleeding for 12 years
- Luke 18:39 – Blind man shouted all the more
3. His effort exercised his FAITH - believe God for a Miracle!
- James 1:17 “Faith without works (action) is dead. (18) I will show you my faith by my works.”
- Luke 17:14 – 10 lepers healed “as they went”
- John 9:7 – “Go wash in the Pool of Siloam”
- Luke 18:1-8 – Widow’s persistent Faith
Let Faith Arise!
- Luke 19:9 “Jesus said to him, Today salvation has come to this house, because this man, too, is a son of Abraham. For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost.”
- II Corinthians 4:16 “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. (17) For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. (18) For we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.”
- I John 5:4 “For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.”