The New Normal (You are Called by God)
Pastor Phil Derstine
You are Called by God
– Like many hero’s in the Bible
- The New Normal (def) - The state to which a society settles, following a crisis, from what previously prevailed.
- I Peter 2:9 “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show forth the praises of Him who hath called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.”
- I Corinthians 1:26 “For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: (27) But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty. (29) That no flesh should glory in his presence”
- Luke 5:4 “Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a catch.”
Launch out into the Deep! (Luke 5:1-11)
– Jesus calls Simon Peter
1. God knows WHERE you are. (vrs 1-3)
- Of 4,000+ boats around the Sea of Galilee… Jesus intentionally got into Peters.
2. God is PURSUING you. (vrs 4)
- II Chronicles 16:9 “For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is fully committed toward him.”
3. God is INSTRUCTING you. (vrs 5)
- Luke 5:4 “Now when He had left speaking, He said unto Simon, Launch out into the deep, and let down your nets for a catch. (5) And Simon answering said unto Him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless, at thy Word I will let down the net.”
4. God is CONVICTING you. (vrs 6-9)
- Conviction is NOT condemnation – Conviction awakens you to TRUTH to set you free!
5. God is COMMISSIONING you. (vrs 10-11)
- “Follow me and I will make you fishers of men.”
I’m going back Fishing (John 21)
– Jesus pursues Peter and the disciples who go back fishing.
- John 21:6 “And he said unto them, Cast the net on the right side of the ship, and ye shall find. They cast therefore, and now they were not able to draw it for the multitude of fishes.”
- Jesus Re-commissioned Peter - "Follow Me… Feed My Sheep"
- Hebrews 12:2 “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith… (3) Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."