The New Normal - Hearing the Voice of God
Pastor Phil Derstine 8-8-21
God is SPIRIT - We must become more Spiritually Sensitive
- I Corinthians 2:14 “But the natural man received not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
- Romans 8:16 “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God.”
- Isaiah 30:21 (NIV) “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, This is the way; walk in it.”
- Hebrews 11:6 – Hearing God’s voice is one of the rewards of SEEKING GOD.
Two Greek Words for the “Word” of God
- Logos: General knowledge and understanding of the Word.
- Rhema: A specific word, to a specific person, in a specific situation.
- Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word (Rhema) of God.”
- Rhema creates Faith, motivates action, overcomes obstacles, and creates Miracles!
- Matthew 14:29 “And He said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.”
Ways God May Speak
- Through His Word – Ps. 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.”
- Audible Voice – I Sam. 3:1-10 “And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.” (Logos became Rhema)
- Dreams – Joel 2:28 “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.”
- Visions – Job 33:14 “For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. (15) In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; (16) Then He openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction.”
- Quiet inner voice – I Kings 19:12 “And after the earthquake, a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire, a still small voice.”
- Interpretation of Tongues – Rom. 8:26-27, I Cor. 2:9-13
o Romans 8:26 “Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.”
o I Corinthians 2:13 “Which things also we speak, not in the words which man’s wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.”
Matthew 11:15 (Jesus) “He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”