Pastor Phil Derstine 10 -3-21
Why Water Baptism?
· Is an act of faith and obedience to a command
· Faith moves the hand of God
1. Baptism is commanded and exampled by Jesus
· Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations , baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…”
· Luke 3:21 “When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened (22) and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”
2. Baptism identifies with Christ’s death and resurrection
· Romans 6:3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? (4) Therefore, we are buried with him by baptism , into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life .”
· Salvation brings both death and New Life (Death to our own will and desires and Life to the will and purpose of God)
· Romans 6:5 “For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection. (6) Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him , that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.”
· Immersion – Baptizo (Gr.) – to plunge, or sink.
· Matthew 3:11 (John the Baptist) “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.”
3. Baptism creates an altar to bury/burn up the flesh
· Leviticus 6:13 “The fire must be kept burning on the altar continuously; it must not go out.”
· Psalm 5:3 (MSG) “Every morning I lay out the pieces of my life on your altar and watch for fire to descend.”
· I Kings 18:30 “And Elijah said to all the people, Come here to me. They came to him, and he repaired the altar of the LORD, which was in ruins .”
· Altars are built to sacrifice; to burn up flesh
· Exodus 14:28 “The water flowed back and covered the chariots and horsemen – the entire army of Pharaoh that had followed the Israelites into the sea. Not one of them survived .”
· The same water that delivered the Israelites, destroyed the Egyptians
· I Peter 3:20-21 “In it [the Ark] only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water , and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also – not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.”
· II Corinthians 3:18 “And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory , which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.”
· Water Baptism creates an altar, to lay down your life, in exchange for His.