The New Normal - Defeating Depression
Pastor Phil Derstine 11-28-21
Prophet Elijah’s Wrong Turn – I Kings 19
· James 5:17 “Elijah was a man just like us…” (Was a prime candidate for depression)
· Physically tired, emotionally exhausted, his life threatened, felt like a failure, ready to quit, suicidal
· I Kings 19:3-5 “Elijah was afraid and ran for his life… he sat down…prayed that he might die… and fell asleep.”
· I Kings 19:4 “I have had enough, LORD… Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.”
· I Kings 19:10 “I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty [yet] the Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altar, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too.”
· John 8:32 “You shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
1. God sent an angel
· I Kings 19:5 “All at once an angel touched him and said, Get up and eat.”
· Take care of the temple: Food, drink, rest
· I Corinthians 3:16 “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
· Matthew 11:28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. (29) Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (30) For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
· Look for angels sent by God - “Friends of Faith”
2. God asked a question
· I Kings 19:9 “What are you doing here, Elijah?”
· God wants to talk about it with you – Fellowship
· Hebrews 4:15 “For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been temped in every way, just as we are – yet was without sin. (16) Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
· Forgive yourself
3. God invited him into His presence
· I Kings 19:11 “Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by.
· An invitation to draw closer to the Holy Spirit
· I Corinthians 2:14 “But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”
· Sit down, read your Bible, get alone with God.
· God wasn’t in the SHOW (wind, earthquake, fire), but was about RELATIONSHIP (one on one)
4. God gave Elijah an Instruction
· I Kings 19:15 “The LORD said to him, Go back the way you came… When you get there, anoint others...
· Get back to God’s purpose for your life – be about your Father’s business
· Get your eyes off yourself – and onto the needs of others
· You’re not alone – v.18 “There are 7,000 in Israel whose knees have not bowed to Baal.”
· Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word (Rhema) of God.”
· God Whispers – Are you listening?
· Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (12) Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. (13) You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (14) I will be found by you, declares the Lord.”