Possess Your Promise - Pt. 1
Pastor Phil Derstine 3-13-22
God’s Promise to You – Get ready to cross the Jordan into your Promised Land!
· Joshua 1:6 “Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them.
· Galatians 3:29 “And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.”
· God has a Promised Land for all of His children, but we need to learn how to POSSESS it!
· Wilderness: God deals with His people – God did work FOR them – God’s spotlight is ON me.
· Promise Land: God deals with the enemy – God did work THRU them – God’s spotlight shines THRU me.
· Don’t get comfortable in the wilderness! Pass the tests and fulfill your God-given dreams!
8 Keys to crossing the Jordan and possessing your Promised Land (Part 1)
1. You POSSESS what you CONFESS
· Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.”
· Numbers 13:33 “There we saw the giants, the sons of Anak, which come of the giants: and we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight.”
· Move from Grasshopper Mentality to Victory Mentality!
· Numbers 14:24 “But because my servant Caleb has a different spirit and follows me wholeheartedly, I will bring him into the land he went to, and his descendants will inherit it.”
· I know whose I am, I am a child of God, God has a plan for my life, Holy Spirit has empowered me for VICTORY!
· Joshua 2:1 “Then Joshua son of Nun secretly sent two spies from Shittim. Go, look over the land, he said, especially Jericho. (24) “They said to Joshua, The LORD has surely given the whole land into our hands; all the people are melting in fear because of us.” (a positive faith-empowered report)
· Ezekiel 37:3 (NIV) “He asked me, ‘Son of man, can these bones live?’ I said, ‘O Sovereign Lord, you alone know.’ (4) Then He said to me, Prophesy to these bones and say to them, Dry bones, hear the word of the LORD!”
· Foretelling: To tell beforehand, predict the future
· Forthtelling: To tell forth, make public, publish abroad. Declaring the Word of the LORD!
2. GOD’S TIME is the RIGHT TIME
· Joshua 3:2 “And it came to pass after three days…”
· II Peter 3:9 “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise… He is patient with you…”
· Hebrews 10:36 “For ye have need of patience, that after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.”
3. Understand DIVINE AUTHORITY
· Joshua 3:3 “And it came to pass after three days the officers went throughout the camp, giving orders to the people: When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, and the priests, who are Levites, carrying it, you are to move out from your positions and follow it.”
· Joshua 6:10 “But Joshua had commanded the people, Do not give a war cry, do not raise your voices, do not say a word until the day I tell you to shout. Then shout!.”
4. Eyes on JESUS not on GIANTS
· Joshua 3:4 “Then you will know which way to go, since you have never been this way before.”
· The Ark represents the Presence of God (Jesus)
· II Corinthians 1:20 “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through Him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the glory of God.”
· Proverbs 14:12 “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.”
· Matthew 14:30 - Peter began to sink when he took his eyes off Jesus!