Growth in Leadership Pastor Phil Derstine 4/13/22
Employeed vrs. Deployed (military term) – Working for Pay vs. Working for God’s Cause
· We are on a Mission, under authority, trained and disciplined, recognizing the Spiritual battle.
· II Timothy 4:5 "But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of your ministry." - Prove by experience, battles & victories, passing the tests....
· James 1:22 "Be ye doers of the Word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
· The moment you take responsibility for someone other than yourself… you become a Leader.
· I Cor. 4:15 "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel." (follow me as I follow Christ)
A Leader Lives by… (5 Characteristics of a Leader)
· A fixed or firm belief
· A state of being convinced
· Living by absolutes, Biblical Standards
· II Timothy 1:12 “For I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day.”
· “A Leader is one who KNOWS the Way, GOES the Way, and SHOWS the Way.” John C. Maxwell
· I Samuel 17:26 "Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God? Is there not a cause?"
· Loves knowledge, training
· Is teachable
· IN authority & UNDER authority
· Matthew 8:8 (Roman Centurion) “For I am a man under authority…”
· David served under the authority of his father, in the fields, as a shepherd... even after anointed to be King.
· Is Team Minded - Doesn't try to do it alone
· Gives credit where credit is due
· Matthew 10:1 – Jesus calls 12 disciples Luke 10:1 – Jesus appoints another 70
· Nehemiah - Assigned diff. families to each gate... based on their gifts and callings - fishermen, shepherds
· I Corinthians 12:27 "Now, you are the body of Christ and each one of you is a part of it."
· A Divine Influence
· God's source of thought and ideas
· Power of the Holy Spirit
· Ephesians 1:8 “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and His incomparably great power for us who believe.”
· Leadership: The capacity to influence others, through inspiration, generated by a passion, ignited by a purpose. - Begins with knowing your PURPOSE! Your faith is INSPIRATIONAL!
· Statement of Intent
· Goals and Aspirations
· Faith Speaks!
· I Samuel 17:32 (David & Goliath) “David said to Saul, Let no one lose heart on account of this Philistine; your servant will go and fight him.”v. 46 "Today the Lord will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your hear. Today, I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beats of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel"