Pray with Expectation
Pastor Phil Derstine 7-24-22
I Kings 18 – Elijah’s contest with the pagan prophets of Baal
· James 5:17 “Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years. (18) Again, he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops.”
· I Kings 18:41 “There is a sound of abundance of rain.”
· Your Faith is tied to your Expectation. Expect the spiritual drought to end! Expect a Miracle!
Pray with Expectation – Seven Principles from I Kings 18
1. Put your faith to the Test - Don’t get comfortable with the status quo and do nothing...
· I Kings 18:21 “How long will you waver between two opinions?”
· See the value of tests and trials
· I Peter 1:7 (NLT) “These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and
purifies gold. (9) For you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls.”
· Hebrews 11:6 “Without faith it is impossible to please God.”
2. Define the battle (as a spiritual one!) - Elijah defined the battle and the people answered, with EXPECTATION.
· Ephesians 6:12 “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”
· Your battle: Finances, Sickness, Marriage, Emotions, Obedience to God’s Commands…
3. Move towards the Lord - Do something daily to increase your relationship with God
· I Kings 18:30 "Then Elijah said...Come near unto me... he repaired the altar of the Lord that was broken down."
· James 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”
· Elijah repaired the Altar of God, made Sacrifice, and Prayed – “Then the fire of the LORD fell!”
· What are you doing to move towards God? Church attendance, daily devotions, sowing seed, prayer.
4. Listen for the Spiritual Sound - God is speaking through His Word, His Prophets, a still small voice.
· II Corinthians 5:7 “For we walk by faith and not by sight.”
· Romans 10:17 “Faith comes by hearing… by the Word of God.”
· Look for the Fingerprints of God – the ways that God is Divinely moving in your life.
5. Declare what you are Hearing - v. 41“There is the sound of an ABUNDANCE of rain!”
· Feed your expectation by speaking it. Faith speaks! Get it in your spirit... ABUNDANCE is coming!
· Matthew 12:34 “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.”
6. P.U.S.H. - Pray until something happens! Elijah put his face between his knees (birthing position) - 7 TIMES
· I Thessalonians 5:17 (NLT) “Never stop praying.”
· Elijah prayed and checked 7 times – Looking for the Fingerprints of God!
· I Kings 18:44 “The seventh time the servant reported; A cloud as small as a man's hand is rising from the sea.”
7. Win the Race with Ahab – Ahab represents the world, the flesh, the enemy, bad choices.
· The power of the Lord came upon Elijah! – He ran 30 miles, outrunning Ahab’s team of horses!
· Hebrews 12:1 “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, (2) fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.”
Psalm 62:5-8 “My soul, wait thou only upon God, for my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation: He is my defense; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in Him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before Him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.”