Finding Christmas Series – 4. Find PEACE
Pastor Phil Derstine 12-24-22
Jesus brought PEACE to earth - Isaiah's prophecy 750 yrs. before Christ was born
· Isaiah 9:6 “For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given, and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace."
· Luke 2:13 “And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, (14) Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”
· John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.”
How to receive the Gift of Peace?
1. Make Peace with God - Inner peace, the peace of a clean heart.
- Romans 5:1 “Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
· Peace (Gr.) = Unity, harmony with God.
- Psalm 37:37 “Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.”
- Mark 4:39 “He got up, rebuked the wind and said to the waves, Peace, be still. Then the wind ceased, and it was completely calm.” (spiritual authority)
- John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
- Peace is not the absence of trouble, but it's knowing that God is with you in the midst of it.
2. Keep Your Mind on Jesus - Experience a peace that's not dependent upon outward circumstances.
- Isaiah 26:3 “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusted in thee.”
- Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God.”
- Philippians 4:6 (NLT) “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all He has done. (7) If you do this, you will experience God’s peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.”
- Philippians 4:8 “Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.”
- Proverbs 23:7 “For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he…”
- Isaiah 32:17,18 “And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance forever. And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.”
- Ephesians 2:8 “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.”
- John 8:12 “I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”