Walking in the Spirit
Pastor Phil Derstine 4-30-23
Joy & Unity of the Early Church
· Acts 4:31 “After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly. (32) All the believers were one in heart and mind… (33) and much grace was upon them all. (34) There were no needy persons among them.”
· Acts 1:8 “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Spirit is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”
· Acts 2:2 “And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. (3) And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire and it sat upon each of them.
· Psalm 126:1 “When the Lord turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like them that dream. (2) Then was our mouth filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing: then said they among the heathen, The Lord hath done great things for them.”
· Acts 3:6 “Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.”
· Galatians 5:22 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, (23) gentleness and self-control. Against such there is no law. (24) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”
· Galatians 5:25 "If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit."
ACTS 4:13-20 - 4 THINGS RESULT when you’re WALKING IN THE SPIRIT
1. BOLDNESS - Not a FRUIT or GIFT of the Spirit, but an ACT of our WILL
· Boldness exercises faith to release the Power of God
· "They took note… these men had been with Jesus.”
· II Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
2. MIRACLES - God's response to our boldness (our act of faith)
· A “notable miracle” could not be denied!
· I Corinthians 14:22 Tongues: a sign to unbelievers
· Hebrews 2:4 “God also testified to it by signs, wonders and various miracles, and gifts of the Holy Spirit distributed according to His will.”
3. CONFLICT - World's response to our boldness (persecution)
· II Timothy 3:12 “Yea, and all that will live Godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.”
· Philippians 1:29 “Unto you it is given…not only to believe on Him, but also to suffer for His sake.”
· Mark 10:30 “Hundred-fold blessings...with persecutions.”
4. TESTIMONY – Personal Experience that increases our Passion
· “We can’t help speaking about what we have seen and heard.”
· Luke 21:13 “And it shall turn to you for a testimony... I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist of contradict.”
· I Peter 3:15 “Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you…”
Make Disciples - Matthew 28:19 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”
· Christian – One who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ.
· Disciple – One who accepts and assists in spreading the teachings of Jesus Christ.